Saturday, April 2, 2011

Planting Our Rainbow

  One of my MOST favorite books to read to my girls...and one of their favorites, too...is a book titled "Planting a Rainbow."  It's a big board book with the brightest colors I've ever seen.  In summary, a child and their mommy plant a rainbow every year....they grow something red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.  If you know me, then you know that I love lots of color, so maybe that is why this is one of my favorite books to read. 
  Last year, as I was reading it to the girls, the thought hit me that this was a great idea to do with them!  So, last year was the first year.  I took AB (Lynns was only 8 months old) to a family-owned nursery and we picked out a purple plant.  I don't remember what it was called, but it was pretty and grew and grew and grew!  Each morning AB and I would go out to the front porch and water our pretty flowers.  This was happening while Jacob was away at Basic Training, so we would write to him and send him pictures - and even a flower one time - all summer long.
  Well, today was our "Plant Our Rainbow" day.  Jacob was away for drill, so this morning after our picnic snack in the back yard, we loaded up and went to the garden center at Wal-Mart. (I would've loved to have gone to another family-owned, local nursery, but I failed to look any up!)  We went up and down the aisle of beautiful flowers.  AB said she wanted orange flowers and insisted that Lynnsie wanted pink ones.  Lynnsie doesn't know her colors, yet, so I held some pink ones up for her and she smiled and reached for them and said, 'Kay.', which seems to be Lynnsie for "yes".
  Next, we went and picked out some pretty flower pots to put our flowers in.  AB chose one with stripes that were pretty shades of blue and Lynns chose a pretty green one.  We came home, ate lunch, napped, snacked, and were just heading back out to transfer our flowers into our pots, when Jacob walked in...surprising us all b/c he wasn't supposed to be home until tomorrow.
  We all went out and Jacob helped put the flowers in the pots.  The girls were really excited and now our tiny little front "porch" has some beautiful color to it, our own little rainbow.

  * As I was trying to take their picture, our neighbor came over and started talking to Jacob, so getting them to actually look at the camera became a lost cause :)

No comments:

Post a Comment