Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fresh Strawberries and OJ...it's all in a week with Nana and Denden

  Every year for the past I-don't-know-how-many years, my grandparents have loaded up in their camper and headed south for the winter...snowbirds, as they call themselves.  They always leave a few days after Christmas and head home at the very end of March.  In all of these years, only one even has drawn them away from Florida during this time, my wedding.  And then we had babies :) This year, they came to visit (or to the rescue!) in February when I was very pregnant-sick and this past week, they left their campsite a week early and spent the last of their winter vacation with us. 
  The girls - not to mention Jacob and I - love it when they are here.  I cannot begin to tell you how much help they are when they're here!!  On this last visit, they brought us some fresh strawberries and some fresh Florida oranges...YUM!!
  I caught a glimpse of my childhood as AB sat with my Denden at the table and watched him cap strawberries.  I used to sit on my Granny Wren's (Nana's mom) front porch for hours at a time in the summer and shell peas and break green beans.  These are some of the best memories of my childhood...summer days in Bradford, TN.  My Nana will take these strawberries and cut them up, add some sugar, and serve them over hot biscuits with butter (another reason why I love it when they visit!)
  They also brought their juicer over - that my granddad said they got at a garage sale many, many years ago - and we made fresh squeezed orange juice with the dozen or so oranges they brought.  And it was SO much better than Tropicana!!  Denden showed them how to do it and then let each of them do a couple of oranges. 


  
 We ALL enjoyed drinking the fresh OJ together after we made it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment