Friday, March 25, 2011

Are we washing bellies tonight?

  I love teachable moments...you know, those times where you realize that whatever is happening, there is a lesson to be taught/learned.  The problem with me and teachable moments is, most of the time they are long gone before I realize there ever was one!! But, the other night, I saw it right away!  Well, rather, God opened my eyes and said, 'Hello....don't let this pass up, too!'
  We have a little game that we play most nights as supper is ending and we are getting ready for bath.  Some time ago, Anna Beth started asking if we were "washing bellies tonight".  Meaning, are we taking a bath.  She asks if we're washing hair, bellies, arms, legs, and, yes, "booties".  It is very cute and fun!!
  So we were in the bathroom and I was getting the water ready, AB was going "potty" and Lynns was running around naked...dangerous for an un-potty trained toddler, I know.  AB said, "Are we washing hair tonight?"  I told her yes.  She said, "Are we washing bellies?" and again, I said told her yes.  Then she says, "Are we washing hearts tonight, mommy?".  I said (in a "silly voice"), "How can we wash your heart...it's inside you?"  She says, "Can God wash my heart?"
  BAM...teachable moment.  I told her that yes, God could wash her heart.  I asked her how her heart got dirty and she said she didn't know.  I told her that when we do things that make God sad - like not listening to mommy and daddy, not being nice to our friends, taking toys away, etc. - it makes our heart dirty and that dirt is called "sin".  I told her that God loves us so much, that He gave us Jesus so He could wash our hearts and make them clean.  She seemed satisfied with this answer and, typical of a 2 1/2 year old, moved onto something else.  I think it was at this point she asked if we were washing "booties" tonight. :)
  It was so awesome, though, to be able to tell her about how much God loves us.  I know there is so much more to talk with her about and we definitely will as she gets older and wants to know more about Jesus and how to have a clean heart and just to what extent He went to to show us how much He loves us.  I was so thankful that God did not allow me to be so wrapped up in the bedtime routine that I missed this moment.  I pray and I wait for the day that she asks God, "Can we wash hearts tonight?"

No comments:

Post a Comment